And my nice cream obsession continues! In fact my obsession with this frozen treat has gone so far that I have started having a bowl of nice cream for breakfast too… (sigh). Well, whats the harm in it! After all, it’s a frozen version of smoothie.. no sugar.. no fats.. no calories.. just pure indulgence!
So a few days back, i bumped into a few pictures from our Hawaii trip (thanks to Facebook!!) that we took about two years back. And i was suddenly transported to the memories of this tropical island; the natural breathtaking scenery, warm tropical climate, active volcanoes, magnificent pacific ocean and most of all, the locally grown exotic and delicious tropical fruits. I remember having a bowl of fresh tropical fruits and coconut water on each day of being in Hawaii. Hence i decided to make this piña colada nice cream and trance to a mini tropical vacation!
This piña colada nice cream is made with pineapple that is rich in vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants, coconut milk which contains good fat and is free from dairy and lactose and nutrition packed bananas. Pineapple gives it a tangy taste while the bananas and coconut milk give this nice cream the smooth and creamy texture. Have a bowl of this as dessert or even for breakfast as i do.. it’s absolutely guilt free and you can binge on this!
The recipe serves 6.
- 1 banana
- 20 oz or 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1.5 cups unsweetened lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Freeze the pineapple chunks and banana pieces overnight in a zip lock.
- Remove the frozen pineapple and banana chunks from the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes before blending.
- Now put the frozen pineapple, banana, coconut milk and honey in the blender and blend it until you get the required creamy consistency.
- You can adjust the amount of honey as per your taste.
- Once blended, scoop the nice cream in serving bowls. If you want your nice cream nicely frozen then transfer it to a container and freeze it for 2-3 hours and then serve.
- Top your nice cream with some pineapple, granola or nuts and dig in!