If you haven’t heard the buzz about nice cream, then you are in for a treat! Well, who doesn’t like ice creams? It’s the perfect concoction of sugar, frozen water, fats and air that makes this creamy treat just irresistible. But this combination can be the tastiest one but is not the healthiest. I am a person who can crave for an ice cream at any hour and can literally survive on it. But I always end up having a guilt hangover after a few spoons. So here’s a healthy alternative to this high fat and high sugar ice cream. It’s NICE CREAM.
Nice creams are made with frozen fruits blended with milk, plant based milk or yogurt. Usually the fruits are enough to get the sweetness right in the nice creams but one can use honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, coconut sugar, stevia or any other healthy sweetner for added sweetness.
So, few days back i whipped up some nice cream using frozen banana and berries, and trust me i was just blown the way it turned out. It had an amazingly creamy texture like a frozen smoothie, was ridiculously light and airy, had a delicious taste and most of all, was fat free and super healthy. It had a sweet and tart taste from the berries balanced with the smoothness of bananas. I added a bit of honey and vanilla essence for added flavor. Every spoonful of this berry nice cream was a sublime treat. You can have it immediately after blending if you like your nice cream semi frozen or you can freeze it for 2 – 3 hours for a frozen ice cream texture. Nice cream keeps good in the freezer for 2 – 3 days.
The below recipe serves 4.
- 1 banana
- 1.5 cups berries (combination of cherries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 milk or yogurt
- Freeze the berries and pieces of banana overnight in a zip lock.
- Remove the frozen berries and banana from the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes before blending.
- Now put the frozen berries, banana, milk, honey and vanilla essence in the blender and blend it until you get the required creamy consistency.
- You can adjust the amount of honey and vanilla essence as per your taste.
- Once blended, scoop the nice cream in serving bowls. If you want your nice cream nicely frozen then transfer it to a container and freeze it for 2-3 hours and then serve. Top your nice cream with some berries, granola or nuts and indulge in this guilt free dessert!