I don’t think there is a greater happiness than having made a perfectly golden, crisp, yet light, waffle. I always try to spruce up my mornings with nice breakfast recipes. And, that’s a must in case of a weekend morning. There is literally nothing worse than a bland breakfast on a Saturday. Pancakes are great, of course, but, you have to admit, waffles take the whole thing up a notch, with their enticing aroma, texture, and taste. For one thing, while you have to flip each pancake to make sure it’s done properly, there’s no such worries with waffles; for another, pancakes do not have such handy deep clefts to hold more syrup or butter, as much as waffles. Yum!
Unsurprisingly, this recipe of mine is extremely easy to prepare. Surprisingly, it is way, way more healthy and wholesome than your regular waffles, due to the use of whole wheat flour. Some of you might guess, very correctly, that in making this version of waffles, it might be difficult to attain perfection. You know you have made a perfect waffle when it is golden, crispy near the edges, softer and lighter in the middle. Well, the trick lies in the balance of the ratio of the ingredients used. And you would find that the ratio of ingredients that I have given below yields a wonderful waffle, which you will be proud of. Not just because of the beautiful texture and taste, but also for the fact that it is so very healthy. It truly is, breakfast at its best! That too, without any guilt-trips!
I have used vanilla extract for the flavor of the waffles. You can also use cinnamon powder or any other flavor that you like. Serve the waffles hot off the iron, with maple syrup/honey/chocolate syrup/whipped cream/fresh fruits/berry compote or any other topping of your own choice.
The given recipe yields 4 waffles.
- ½ cup whole wheat flour or whole spelt flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the waffle iron
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the whole wheat flour, wheat pastry flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix together.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and honey.
- Now pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix it well.
- Add the vanilla essence and melted butter to it and stir to mix.
- Using a ladle, pour the batter into the waffle iron.
- Cook until golden and crisp
- Serve with maple syrup/honey/chocolate syrup/ whipped cream/berry compote/fresh fruits.
One thought on “WHOLE WHEAT WAFFLES”
I am working with two other bloggers on THE GREAT BLOGGERS’ BAKE-OFF which will be this coming Sunday. If you think you might be interested, you are very welcome to join in the fun and tell other baking bloggers too 🙂