Nothing screams summer like a bowl of fresh salad bursting with incredible flavors. Salads are my go to during these warmer days. Few days back I made this colorful and vibrant salad with carrot & ginger dressing which is a great combination of sweet and savory, is quick and easy to make with no cooking involved and perfect to enjoy all the produce that’s in season now.
However, the star of this salad is the carrot and ginger dressing. It’s sweet, tangy and zesty with a surprising spiciness of ginger. This dressing has all the ‘good for you’ ingredients starting from carrots which are an excellent source of vitamins, ginger that has healing properties and also aids in digestion and sesame seed oil that is loaded with essential minerals. Along with these, I added olive oil which is apparently a must for any salad dressing, rice vinegar for a bright and nutty taste, lime to adjust the acidity of the dressing and honey to add a little sweetness and balance the sour and tangy flavors.
This dressing is super versatile. It pairs very well with any combination of vegetables and protein. While making this salad I was craving something crisp and colorful, light yet wholesome, hence I opted for lettuce, carrots, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli and Brussels sprouts. You can always swap lettuce for kale or spinach, add tofu, quinoa or edamame for some extra protein, or add peanuts or toasted almonds for a nice crunch. No matter what vegetable/protein route you take, I swear this dressing is a winner.
You can always make a big batch of this dressing and store it in the refrigerator for a week. It also makes a great dip to go with crunchy vegetables. So next time when you look for a filling and satisfying meal, try tossing this healthy salad to enjoy a burst of refreshing and delicious flavors! Happy salad days to you!
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, diced or shaved in ribbons
- 8 – 10 Brussels sprouts, raw or slightly grilled.
- 2 cups lettuce, roughly chopped
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, roughly diced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- salt as per taste
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients listed above for the dressing in a high speed blender and run until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the veggies along with the prepared dressing and give it a nice toss.
- Divide the salad in bowls, top it with some more dressing and serve.
- If you do not intend to eat this salad immediately, refrigerate the salad veggies and dressing separately.
- There is no hard and fast rule as to which and how much vegetables to add in your salad.