Perfectly vibrant, flavorful, creamy, chunky, slathered in the most delicious herb dressing, this red potato salad will definitely be a hit on your dinner table! Most potato salads are dressed in mayo and at times the amount of mayonnaise is so much that you actually forget that you are eating a potato salad. I am not a very big fan of this ever so popular white condiment. So this recipe here is a super healthy take on the traditional potato salad, made without any mayonnaise, making potato the real star of this salad.
Red potatoes are ideal for salads because they are firm and keep their shape in the salad without falling apart. They also have a mildly sweet taste that makes the salad even more delectable. Apart from the texture and flavor, the thing I love about these potatoes is their vibrant red hue which makes the final product visually so appealing. The star of this recipe though is the dressing which is a refreshing change of pace from the sour cream or mayonnaise mixture. It’s made of olive oil, combination of parsley and green onions, garlic and Dijon mustard for the added kick and of course lime juice for a slight tang. The best thing about this dressing is that its extremely versatile and lets you play around with the herbs you want to go for. I have used parsley but you can always use thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, tarragon, dill or a combination of any of these herbs. I have also added some celery for added crunch, but if you do not like celery then you can substitute it with cucumber or skip it altogether.
This salad is an excellent choice for picnics, potlucks or as a side dish for dinner. Make this salad ahead and let it sit for few hours to let all the flavors really meld together. I always prefer having this salad the other day as it tastes much better with layers upon layers of flavor.
- 10 – 12 small red potatoes
- 1/3 cup parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper as per taste
- Scrub the potatoes nicely and slice them into thick rounds.
- Boil some water in a large saucepan and add the potatoes along with a tablespoon of salt. Cook the potatoes on medium heat for 6 – 8 minutes. Once cooked, transfer the potatoes to a mixing bowl.
- In a food processor, combine the parsley, green onions, garlic, Dijon mustard, lime juice, salt, pepper and olive oil along with two tablespoons of water and process until emulsified.
- Pour this dressing over the potatoes and toss. Also add chopped celery to the bowl and mix nicely.
- Let the potatoes sit for about an hour before serving. You can also refrigerate the potatoes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.