How pretty is this hummus tart! And trust me not only is it a treat to look at but is incredibly delicious too. At times I am amazed at how a few simple ingredients can bring out such delicate and interesting flavors. This tart starts with a flaky puff pastry crust that’s crisp yet melts in your mouth and is brimming over with hummus and roasted vegetables. It’s extremely tasty, plus is super easy to make for dinner and impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. The rich, hearty flavors make this a recipe for all to enjoy.
So I started off with roasting the vegetables. I went for some basic veggies like zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and onions. The flavor makers here are garlic, fresh basil, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and olive oil. Once roasted, the natural sugars in the veggies caramelize and the edges turn golden brown. Roasting the vegetables brings out a whole new layer of sweet and smoky flavors that make a world of difference. Also you can always mix and match the vegetables and herbs as per your taste preferences.
For the puff pastry, I went ahead and baked a frozen store bought pastry to cut corners. I whipped some hummus quickly as I have been past that stage of having store bought hummus since it is pretty easy to make your own if you have the basic ingredients like chickpeas and tahini on hand.
Once the vegetables were roasted and pastry baked, I assembled the tart by first applying a generous layer of hummus on the pastry and then laying the roasted veggies over it. Next i topped it with some kalamata olives, feta cheese and fresh basil. I really loved the way these simple ingredients brought together an authentic Mediterranean taste and made for a fancy and delectable meal.
Also there is a natural versatility to this tart. It can be easily adapted for a variety of vegetables, cheese and spread preferences. It is filling, delicious and wholesome, perfect for brunch, dinner or as an appetizer. It also packs very well for lunch. So go give it a try and I am sure you will be making this dish over and over again. Happy cooking!!
- 2 cups assorted veggies (cherry tomatoes, red onions, zucchini, eggplant, assorted bell peppers)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper as per taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 cup hummus (click to get the recipe)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- Start with washing and chopping all the vegetables.
- For roasting the vegetables, preheat the oven at 400F and line the baking tray with an aluminum sheet or parchment paper. Brush it with some live oil and keep aside.
- Place all the vegetables in a bowl and drizzle some olive oil. Add thyme, oregano, fresh basil, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and lime juice to the vegetables. Give it a nice stir to make sure all the vegetables are coated with spices.
- Spread the vegetables on the lined baking tray in a single layer.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until they are tender and cooked.
- Meanwhile thaw the puff pastry and cut it in half. Place both the halves on another lined baking tray and score an inch border around the sheet of both the halves. Also prick the middle of the sheet with fork few times to stop the pastry from puffing up too much.
- Prepare an egg wash by mixing 1 egg with about half cup if water. Brush this mix on top of the sheets before putting them into the oven. This will help achieve a golden brown color on the pastry once its baked.
- Bake the pastry sheet for 15 – 20 minutes at 400F.
- While the pastry bakes, stir the hummus in a food processor.
- Once done, remove the sheet and top it with hummus and the roasted veggies.
- Also add some olives and feta on top of the vegetables and serve.