Peaches are stunning these days! Be it grocery stores or farmers market, peaches are popping up everywhere. Biting into a fresh peach is unparalleled for the ultimate summer experience. Peaches are luscious and juicy but when grilled, they caramelize and the smoky taste makes the fruit come to life. I love mixing cocktails with fresh fruits and herbs and this concoction made with grilled peaches, thyme, honey and whiskey is outright a smashing summer refreshment.
I started off with grilling the peaches. It makes them soft and juicy and adds an extra layer of smokiness to its overall flavor. Next I muddled the grilled peaches to release their juices and infuse the cocktail with a rich and tart peachy taste. I also added a few sprigs of thyme while muddling the peaches to add a herbaceous twist to the drink. Thyme imparts a piney and peppery taste with a hint of bitter and minty notes to awaken your taste buds.
For the spirit, I went ahead with bourbon since it’s general flavor profile is characterized as having vanilla, oak and caramel notes which very well complements the complex flavors of peach and thyme. Also it is very essential to add some honey to the drink as it does a great job at masking the intensity of the whiskey while still allowing it’s strong flavors to come through. Since it was a summer day drink I topped it off with some ginger ale to add a spicy and refreshing kick and at the same time to mellow it down a bit.
This cocktail is truly a melange of sweet, smokey, spicy, herbal and tangy. It’s easy to make and is every bit as refreshing as it is beautiful!! I hope you guys give this grilled peach cocktail a try.. it really is like taking a sip of the sunshine!
- 2 small peaches
- 3 oz bourbon whiskey
- 3 sprigs of thyme.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Ginger ale as required
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the peaches into slices. Brush a tiny amount of butter on each slice and place them on a grilling grate. Cook them for 10 – 15 minutes, flipping in between. Remove from the oven once charred on all sides.
- Now muddle the grilled peaches along with a few strands of thyme.
- Transfer it to a cocktail shaker, add whiskey, honey, lime juice and ice to it and shake to mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour it over ice along with the pulp or through a strainer if you do not like your drink chunky and pulpy.
- Top off the glasses with ginger ale and garnish with sprigs of thyme. Enjoy!!