How much I love making these beautiful and colorful bowls of goodness! This hearty power bowl that I am sharing with you’ll today features the outrageously flavorful kale & quinoa salad along with some tender sweet potatoes, tangy and creamy guacamole and protein packed beans. It isn’t the most cray-z-awesome creative combination but a simple yet classic one which I can eat every day all day.
So lets get down to it. This salad takes about 30 minutes to prep, start to finish. Just get the quinoa going, and while the sweet potatoes are doing their yummy thing with cumin and paprika, you scrunch up the kale, drain and rinse the beans, make your dressing and guacamole. That’s it. All you need to do at the end is throw everything in a bowl, top it off with feta and olives and you’re all set. This salad is everything from being vibrant, creamy, tangy and crunchy to being extremely delicious and healthy. It will fill you up with protein, vegetables, good fats and lots of vitamins and minerals. A complete win-win.
Served warm or cool, this big bowl of delicious fall flavors is a perfect meal in itself and will make even the biggest salad hater into a believer. This salad packs well for lunches too.
The given recipe yields 4 bowls.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 bunch of kale,chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut in cubes
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 olives
- 1/3 cup toasted Pepita seeds
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoon chopped jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- juice of 2 limes
- salt & pepper as per taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup olives
- To cook the quinoa, rinse it in a fine colander under running water. Then add the quinoa along with 1 cup of water in a pot and let it come to a gentle boil over medium heat. Then reduce the heat on low and simmer the quinoa until it has absorbed all the water. Remove from heat and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Place the chopped kale in a large bowl. Sprinkle some salt and massage the kale with your hands by scrunching up large handfuls until the kale gets darker and fragrant.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil, juice of 1 lime, some salt and pepper and drizzle over the kale. Also add cooked quinoa and toasted Pepita seeds to it and toss everything together. Keep aside.
- To cook the sweet potatoes, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet. Add the diced sweet potatoes along with roasted cumin powder, smoked paprika and salt. Stir to combine. Cover the pan and let the sweet potatoes cook for about 10 minutes. Once done uncover the pan, add a splash of water if the sweet potatoes are sticking to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes or until the potatoes are caramelized.
- To make guacamole, scoop the flesh of the avocados using a spoon. Mash the avocados using a fork or a masher. Add chopped onions, jalapeño, cilantro, salt, pepper and juice of 1 lime to it. Mix thoroughly.
- To serve, divide the quinoa and kale salad, beans, sweet potatoes and guacamole into bowls. Top with crumbled feta and olives.