Today I am going to share a very humble shikanji recipe. Well, to all those who are wondering what shikanji is, it is a simple indian style lemonade. It is a staple drink in India during summers.
So, what makes it different from the normal lemonade? It’s the addition of spices like roasted cumin powder and black salt to the drink. All you have to do is squeeze some fresh lemon/lime juice, add some black salt, roasted cumin powder, sugar, mint leaves and water. Mix it well and your refreshing glass of shikanji is ready. The distinctive taste and earthy aroma of cumin powder along with the peculiar taste of black salt adds a punch to the regular lemonade. It is a perfect thirst quenching drink and the addition of spices makes it even more appealing.
Benefits of shikanji (Lemon water).
- It is a natural coolant. When the temperatures are very high, consuming shikanji is an excellent way to replenish the body salts, pack yourself with essential vitamins and minerals and prevent dehydration.
- Consuming lemon water aids in digestion as lemon is rich in pectin fibre, vitamin C and ascorbic acid and also the spice mix is very tummy friendly.
- Grab a glass of lemonade whenever you feel hungry. Lemon contains pectin fiber which will help relieve you of hunger pangs for a very long time and hence help in weight loss.
- Lemon juice has a high content of potassium that helps to control high blood pressure.
- Vitamin C in lemons is considered the best source to boost immunity.
- It contains vitamins and antioxidants that will keep your skin glowy and rejuvenated.
- 4 cups water
- 4 – 5 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black salt
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- Few mint leaves to garnish.
- In a pitcher, combine all the above ingredients and mix well until the sugar is completely dissolved in water.
- Once mixed, taste and adjust the amount of salt, sugar and roasted cumin powder. I usually prefer adding less sugar and more roasted cumin powder to my lemonade but you can go ahead and tweak the proportions as per your taste preference.
- Pour this refreshing lemonade into glasses, top it with ice and mint and enjoy!
- You can completely skip adding sugar to your glass of shikanji. It will still taste amazing.
- You can try adding some ginger too. It will give an edge to the drink.
- The proportion of black salt and cumin powder can be tweaked according to your taste preferences and sourness of lemon.