If there is one thing that can never go wrong, it’s probably pizza. There are so many styles and types of this particular food item all over the world, and yet, it remains one of the most favorite items on the menu of all times. You can choose between a wide range of pesto, sauces, toppings, seasonings, crusts and what not. My husband and I are die-hard fans of pizzas as well (obviously!). So today I am going to share with you guys, my very own version of this classic dish. I do hope you guys like it.
So here’s the deal. I whipped up the pesto in the processor until smooth and creamy, and spread it on the pizza crust. Then I topped it with all my favorite veggies in a kind of bursting array of various flavors, and finally with the cute little bocconcini balls (you just cannot skip it) that gives the final touch of perfection to the pizza. And that’s it. It was fantastic! We (my husband and I) both loved it so much.
For the pesto, I chose to go with arugula and toasted walnuts – toasted, since it boosts up the overall flavor. Arugula has high amounts of dietary nitrate that is beneficial in lots of ways, including lowering of blood pressure, among other uses. But you can also use kale, spinach or basil in place of arugula, and toasted pine nuts or almonds instead of walnuts. I have tried them all in the past, and never regretted any of it. For the spinach and kale pesto, you can check out my Baked Ziti with Spinach & Kale Pesto recipe.
Pizza preferences are an extremely personal affair, I know. So, have your way with the toppings, the pesto, and the flavors to give it your own special touch, and DIVE IN!!
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 cups sliced broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped spianch
- ½ cup sliced olives
- 6-8 balls of bocconcini
- 1 whole wheat pizza crust
- red pepper flakes
For the Arugula & walnut Pesto (yields 2 cups) –
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- ½ cup Parmesan (optional)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper as per taste
- To make the pesto: in a food processor, combine all the ingredients for the pesto and pulse until smooth and creamy in texture.
- Preheat the oven at 475 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, place the pizza crust on a lined baking tray. Nicely spread pesto on the crust. Top it with sliced tomatoes, yellow squash, broccoli, spinach and bocconcini.
- Transfer it to the oven and bake it for about 15 – 20 minutes until the crust is nicely cooked.
- Once done sprinkle some olives and red pepper flakes. Slice and serve.
5 thoughts on “ARUGULA & WALNUT PESTO PIZZA”
Thanks a ton! Do give it a try!
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person