Presenting to you, a platter full of colors, flavors and lots and lots of protein (yummy and healthy at the same time!). What more do you need right? Oh of course, easy to prepare and less time-consuming… Don’t worry, I got all that covered with this winning recipe. After all, where else would you get everything good and tasty, ready in a jiffy, if not in a Mexican dish? Every time you are late from work, or tired after a busy day, or just not in a mood for cooking something complicated, you’ll want this.
I haven’t met anyone yet who doesn’t love tacos. And my taco obsession remains strong throughout the year. This traditional Mexican dish has a special place in all our hearts, for obvious reasons. Apart from the awesome taste, the spicy fun and lingering zest, it can be prepared very fast with lots of variations.
Fresh corn is just coming into season, so what better way to take full advantage of it’s sweet taste and crunchy texture. These tacos along with the corn are also enriched with the high protein of black beans, healthy fats of avocados and the high fiber and antioxidants of radishes. The tanginess of lime, together with the savory kick of cumin gives this dish its classic Mexican seasoning. This recipe has everything delicious and yummy in it, along with being extremely wholesome. I promise you, the vibrant flavors and the refreshing taste will make you crave for more and more.
The recipe provided below can fill up to 8 tacos. You can adjust the ratio of the ingredients according to your taste and preferences.
For sweetcorn salad
– 16 oz or 2 cups fresh corn kernels
– 4 thinly sliced red radishes
– 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
– ¼ cup chopped cilantro
– ¼ cup crumbled feta
– 1 tablespoon lime juice
– Salt and pepper, to taste
For the black bean filling
– 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
– 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 8 tortillas (wheat or corn)
– Avocado slices
– Cucumber slices
– To make the sweetcorn salad: In a mixing bowl, add the fresh corn kernels, sliced radishes, jalapeño, cilantro, feta, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix well and keep aside.
– To make the black beans: Warm the olive oil in a pan and add the onions with of pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the onions have turned translucent. Then add the beans along with roasted cumin powder. Mix together and let it cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Once done, remove from heat and season it with salt and pepper.
– Warm the tortillas on a non stick or iron skillet, flipping occasionally, until the tortillas are lightly charred. Fold a tea towel over the warmed tortillas to keep them warm.
– Fill the tortillas with the prepared bean mixture and sweetcorn salad.
– Top it with avocado and cucumber slices.
Finally, you can also add some additional toppings like salsa verde, sour cream or pickled jalapeños and voila!! You have got yourself a great dish within very little time. Enjoy with your family and friends.