Don’t you feel like grabbing and eating these sandwiches out of this picture? These chickpea salad sandwiches are delicious, satisfying, fresh, healthy and take mere minutes to make. They are a perfect tangle of flavors and textures. An excellent choice for breakfast or a weekday lunch.
These sandwiches are a complete meal in itself. The salad filling is a protein powerhouse with the star ingredients being chickpeas and hummus. The chickpeas also add a nice coarse texture to the salad. The veggies that go into the salad make it even more nutritious, fibrous and crunchy. Well.. with all of that being said, i believe that hummus plays the most significant role in these sandwiches. It makes the salad extremely creamy and delicious and I am so sure that you will not miss the not-so-healthy mayonnaise that makes a sandwich delectable.
Another ‘super’ ingredient that goes into these sandwiches is avocado. I wont even go there writing about the benefits of avocados because…they are endless! Adding a layer of guacamole takes these sammiches to a whole new level in terms of taste, texture and of course the ‘the healthy quotient’. Also I love adding greens to my sandwich. I have used spinach leaves here, but you can go for any greens or veggies of your choice.
Chickpea salad sandwiches are wholesome, tasty, easy to make with the flavor pay off being spot on. They are extremely filling and you wont feel hungry for hours after having them.
The given recipe makes 4 sandwiches.
For the salad
- 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cucumbers
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño
- 1 cup hummus (click on the link and scroll down to find the recipe for making hummus)
- salt & pepper as per taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 small avocados
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- juice of one lime
- salt & pepper as per taste
- baby spinach
- whole wheat or multigrain bread
- To make the chickpea salad, in a mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas coarsely with a potato masher or a fork. Add the chopped carrots, cucumber, onions, tomatoes, olives, hummus, lemon juice, jalapeño, salt and pepper. Give it a nice mix until all the ingredients are combined. Add more hummus if you like a smoother and creamier salad.
- To make the guacamole, cut the avocados into half. Remove the seed and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Mash the avocado and add onions, tomatoes, jalapeño, cilantro, salt, pepper and lime to it. Give it a mix.
- To make the sandwiches, start with layering the bottom slice of bread with baby spinach leaves and add the chickpea salad on top of it. On the underside of the top slice of the bread, add some guacamole.
- Cut the sandwich into half and serve.
- You can always use pita instead of multigrain bread
- I have used hummus for my salad, but you can always substitute it with non-fat Greek yogurt. It will taste equally delicious.
- The salad keeps fresh for 3-4 days so you can always make some extra salad for a handy breakfast or lunch during weekdays.
- The chickpea salad tastes great on its own too.