Creamy, delicious, and healthy – this pasta can be your go to dish any day. Whether you are in a hurry, or you had a rough day, or you have guests coming – this dish is packed with vibrant flavors and is equally healthy.
Cooking is soothing. I am sure many of you will agree with me on this. It can be a way to relax after a hectic day at work. Or a way to give purpose to a boring, boring day. And if you are a true foodie and love to cook, your food is bound to be extra yummy. But, while our love for food knows no bound (I know, right!), it is very important to keep in mind what we are eating and how healthy it is. Let’s face it, pasta is yummy. But, it is also heavy. On the other hand, baked pasta with just the right kind of sauce and veggies is not only yummy, but also good for our health. That is exactly what this recipe is. With the goody goody whole wheat pasta, the goodness of spinach and kale pesto, and of course, the string that holds it all together – mozzarella…, this baked dish is a party to your taste buds, and at the same time, extremely healthy.
The recipe provided below can serve up to 4 people. Feel free to tweak the quantities of the ingredients as per you own requirements, keeping the ratio balanced.
– 1/2 lb whole wheat ziti
– 2 cups heirloom tomatoes
– 2 cups fresh baby spinach
– 1 cup kale
– 1 cup basil
– 1/2 cup roasted almonds
– 1/3 cup olive oil
– 3 garlic cloves
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– salt and pepper as per taste
– mozzarella cheese
–To cook the ziti, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of olive oil to it. Add the pasta and boil until it is al dente.
– Cut the heirloom tomatoes into half and keep aside.
– To make the pesto sauce: In a food processor, put spinach, kale, basil, roasted almonds, olive oil, garlic cloves, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth and creamy in texture.
– Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
– In a lined baking tray toss the cooked pasta with the pesto sauce and heirloom tomatoes. Grate some mozzarella evenly on the top and bake it for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
Garnish or not, up to you. Enjoy the sumptuous meal alone, or with friends and family. It’s so green, your guilt conscience will be silent all the way to the last bite. Enjoy, guys!